Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"Band Candy"

Xander: "The band, yeah. They're great. They march."Willow: "Like an army. Except with music, instead of bullets, and usually no one dies."
 I am so excited, I can't contain myself.  Back in college, I was in the band sorority, Tau Beta Sigma.  I helped the historian (and my best friend!) with our scrapbook.  I've done traditional scrapbooking for a while, but she had great and original idea; a magazine style scrapbook done on a computer.  After many, many hours of scanning photos, cropping, and making page layouts, we finished our scrapbook.  Little did we know that it would be extremely difficult to print.

We made it at our university who had installed the latest version of CorelDraw (12) and since we couldn't print in color at school, we thought we would have no problem taking it to Office Depot.  WELL.  Were we wrong.  Office Depot could only print up to CorelDraw10 and even though they sold 12 in the store, they wouldn't upgrade their product.  We continued to have the same problem throughout town. 

Fast forward 6 years.  I was going through some old boxes (to find stuff for my new office!) and I found the disk that Katherine had made with the scrapbook files.  I thought that surely, six years later, there should be no issue to print this.  I headed over to Staples this time and CorelDraw is now extinct!  They attempted to change the file to a pdf, but they were unable.  The nice copy lady gave me a few suggestions of professional printers that might be able to help. 

I drove all the way to Carrollton (about 20 min away) to AlphaGraphics and after a few minutes of back and forth, they said they could print it!  I didn't want to get too excited until I actually had it in my hands, but what a step in the right direction! 

I officially got my first edition 2004-2005 Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Tau Scrapbook yesterday!  It was so exciting.  Six years.  I can't believe it took this long to print it, but it's finally done.  Now I just need to get a copy for Katherine. 

The only problem:  Since it was made 6 years ago, not all the fonts stayed when they opened it.  And for some reason, any apostrophe was printed as an "i".  It's pretty funny because even though it's finally printed, it's still not perfect.  You can't help but laugh.

Be crafty,
Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment