Sunday, February 12, 2012

"Intervention"

Buffybot (going out to patrol): "Time to slay. Vampires of the world beware!"

My best friend, Katherine, and I


Austin Comic Con!!


My costume of choice was Buffybot.  I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and even though she makes a brief appearance in the series, I love the Buffybot.  She really cracks me up.  Plus, this costume doesn't require any sewing.  Which, is good, considering I only recently acquired a sewing machine.


BuffyBot outfit w/first jacket
What I needed for a Buffybot:
Black "Leather" Jacket - preferably motorcycle style w/o too many pockets
Bright Pink Shirt - boatneck, very simple
Light Pink Skirt - knee length, accordion pleats
Black shoes - 90's style, low heel, heeled loafer
Pink heart pin - bejeweled
Bow bracelet - gold
Stake


I started my search in the summer when I zeroed in on a costume.  Finding a "leather" jacket in the summer in Texas is nearly impossible.  Thankfully, Burlington Coat Factory had a few.  I didn't want to drop a ton of $$ for the coat and the only one they had for less than $20 was a size too small.  Afraid that I wouldn't be able to find another that price, I bought it.  It zipped up, but the chest was SUPER tight and there was a strap across the neck that I wanted to remove.  When I put together the almost complete costume to show my husband, the jacket was SO HOT.  I didn't know how I would make it during the convention.  Luckily, I just happened to be perusing Burlington Coat Factory again in August and they had a much larger collection of "leather" jackets.  AND, I found one that was perfect!  It was even only $14, my size, no neck strap to remove, and a nice cool liner inside.  PERFECT.


The shirt turned out to be pretty easy to find.  I just googled 'pink boatneck shirt' and one popped up at Macy's (on sale) for less than $15.  It's a little more purple pink than I wanted but it still looks good.  It's also a little long, which is great for everyday wear, but I just folded it up a bit for a shorter look for the con.


The skirt.  Oh, the skirt.  Accordion skirts are not in style.  I only found ONE online, in the color I wanted, from a Korean company.  Sure, the skirt was only $15, but you had to pay $30 in shipping.  It was also ONESIZE, so no way to know for sure if it would fit me.  I'm a 14, by the way, so online shopping makes me nervous.  After a few more weeks of looking, I still couldn't find anything else, so I ordered it.  Three weeks later, I open the package and it's BLUE.  I argued with the company for a while, but they wouldn't exchange it or refund me.  Shoulda read that fine print a little closer.  One plus is that it did fit.  I'm just not sure when I'm going to wear it...  :(  So, then my mom and I started considering making the skirt ourselves.  She swears that skirts are EASY.  So we look at fabric, find a few possibilities, and then check out the patterns.  What did I say about accordion skirts?  Not. In. Style.  No patterns.  I couldn't even find any online.  And as 'easy' as a skirt is, my mom doesn't make her own pattern.  So I continued the search online.  AGAIN.  My mom sent me two links to skirts she happened to find, and one of them was perfect!  I don't know what we were googling differently (maybe I was being too specific "accordion pleated skirt"), but she found it!  She thought it might be too pricey, but it was $30.  After the difficulty in finding this skirt, I'll take it!


The shoes turned out to be easy.  I knew I could probably find them at DSW, though I was suddenly wishing I hadn't gotten rid of my chunky loafers from my days of high school.  My mom, however, just happened to have a pair that worked for me.  They had a silver buckle, but that's okay.  I'll take free.  *Note - Post con, the shoes were SO uncomfortable.  I got blisters.  Remind me to not borrow shoes unless they fit AND can last 8+ hours on a convention floor.


The heart pin I made myself.  If you notice during the part where Buffybot is "hunting" Spike in his crypt, there is a sparkly heart pin on the bottom left side of the shirt.  I found a heart shaped metal pendant at Michael's.  I covered one side with pink jewels and hot glued a pin backing to the other side.  DONE.


The bracelet also makes an appearance during the same scene as above.  It is a short glimpse of what looks like a bow bracelet on Buffybot's left arm as she tries to "stake" Spike.  The only one that looks even remotely similar is a Marc Jacob's bracelet.  No thank you.  I didn't think I could make it, so it did not make the costume.


The stake was easy peasy.  I had remembered seeing a seller on ebay for stakes so I looked it up.  They were only sellling one stake at the time (apparently from a different season than 5), but I went ahead and bought it.  Now, I haven't purchased off ebay since high school (10 years ago) so I couldn't remember anything about a login name or password and my email has changed since then.  So I created a new one.  The seller said they wouldn't sell to anyone with less than 10 positive review.  Instead of bidding and not getting it, I clicked 'buy it now' and payed a little more, but as least it was guaranteed.  This was the most expensive item at $50. 

The convention was so much fun!  Several people stopped me to say they loved my costume, even though the contest person had no idea who I was.  I even got a photo with James Marsters while wearing the outfit.  I was super nervous but the picture looks great!!



Be Crafty (and Nerdy),

Kris




No comments:

Post a Comment